Waffles are seriously my favorite breakfast food ever. And if I had to choose between waffles and pancakes… is that even a choice? 🧇🍓
Ingredients in the Buckwheat Waffle
- milk – any dairy-free milk (or regular milk) will work here!
- maple syrup – you can add a little bit of maple syrup to make it sweeter
- seeds – I use a combination of pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds to add a boost of plant-based protein and some texture variation! You could use hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seed, etc.
- buckwheat – it’s naturally wheat and gluten-free. It’s also higher in protein than wheat, corn, rice and millet!
- optional toppings – banana slices, strawberries, maple syrup, chocolate chips, etc.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/4 plant-based milk unsweetened
- Add the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to a food processor. Mix until finely ground (floury texture). Transfer the flour to a bowl and add the buckwheat flour, ground flax seeds, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add coconut oil and plant-based milk. Mix until well combined.
- Once waffle iron is heated, spray top and bottom of iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter over bottom of the iron. Cook until golden brown.
- Serve with your choice of fruit, a few slices of turkey bacon and maple syrup or top with your favorites.
Please leave a comment and star rating on this post and share on social media using the hashtag #thecanadianfoodie. I love seeing your recipe shares ! ❤️